Tuesday 8 June 2010

Pedro the Mullet

There is nothing in the world I love more than hispanic children.
Honestly.
I love the friends and fam, baking, rain.. all that stuff, but really, I just get so much joy out of serving little adorable hispanic kids.
Well, the point of this story, I guess, is that we started ministry today.
After some deep, deep cleaning, and some adventures into the dark smelly depths of the boys bathroom, we finally got to meet the kids we'll be pouring into all summer.
As insane as it was, I fell in love. These kids are precious, from Cristian, my sassy new friend, to Pedro, the crazy six year old with quite the mullet.
The kids I'll specifically be serving are so far, a rowdy group of nine and ten year olds, mostly made up of boys. I don't know, but I'm just so excited to get to know them. I know these kids are coming from rough family situations, and are just yearning for love and acceptance. So a prayer to start this out with is that I'll be able to love them as our Father does-to see past their attitudes when something's going on with their families, to put myself at their level so I can best care for them and show them the love of a Father that does not abuse, does not ignore, does not leave- a Father that is always there to comfort them.
If that makes any sense :)
I did get a few laughs out of today, though.
Prayer time:
"Miss, will you pray that my mom gets me pizza tonight? I really like pizza, and she never gets it for us anymore."
"Miss, will you pray that I get healthy food?"
Uh, ok...
We did have some legit prayer requests, though. I guess you give and you take with ten year olds.
Oh, crazy boys..
They are so well-mannered, though. They call us all "Miss" and gosh, they're adorable.
We did also have teen club today, which I'm pretty excited for, too.
The group is a lot smaller than the kids (which gets up to 70 by the end of the summer), averaging around 10 teens, which I find nice- it's a lot easier to get to know everyone.
I guess the one problem with all of this, is that with all the time on the field we'll have combined with the amount of amazing people we're with and the amount of distractions (as nice as they are) in the house we're staying in, is that it's so easy for me to lose focus, to put a conversation with a sweet new sister ahead of getting in the Word and doing my quiet time or preparing for leading my Bible study in the first place.
I don't want to forget why I'm here.
I really don't.
Please pray for focus.
And finally, I really can't sleep here. I've never had a problem with sleeping. But, last night, it took me an hour to fall asleep because I have to listen to music to drown out the snoring above me, and I usually wake up to music so I'm still accustoming myself to that. Then I woke up to an awful dream, ten minutes later another girl woke up to a nightmare and screamed, so everyone had to take a midmorning bathroom break, then there was the girl texting for an hour next to me after.. needless to say, I was awake from four am on. And the work we're doing is draining in the first place...
So I really need sleep.
I know that this is probably counterproductive to be awake right now, but I'm on such overload thinking-wise, I just needed to get it out, get a good devo, and read...
I have no idea how much sense I'm making, but who cares.
Anyway, I'm going to cut this off for the night.
Thanks for the prayers :)
grace and peace

No comments:

Post a Comment